In Washington, DC, elections are a good excuse to party. Inaugural balls, primary-watching happy hours, election-results parties. We’ve already shared some of the DNC-themed cocktails from the convention. So naturally, they’ll be plenty of people with cocktail in hand watching tonight’s Vice Presidential train wreck debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin.
- Prefer clear spirits such as gin and vodka, and white wine
- Tip better
- Have better pick-up lines
- Give better toasts
- Prefer darker spirits such as bourbon and scotch, and red wine
- Are more likely to order a drink straight up
- Are less likely to order a “fruity,” or pink drink
- Will arrive first at happy hour
If you are in need of ideas for election-themed cocktails, here are a few for you to enjoy, courtesy of Beam Global Spirits & Wine.
The Running Mate
• 2 parts bourbon, preferably Maker’s Mark
• 1 part simple syrup
• 2 wedges lemon
• 1 slice of watermelon
Muddle lemon and watermelon with simple syrup. Add bourbon and ice. Shake and strain into a large old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a slice watermelon and lemon wheel.
Recipe Source: James Lee, bartender at West End Tavern in Boulder, CO
Sounds similar to the Blackberry Bourbon Cobbler over at Central.
• 2 parts bourbon, preferably Knob Creek
• 1 part triple sec
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 6 mint sprigs
• Splash of raspberry schnapps
• Fresh raspberries and blueberries to garnish
Add sugar, bourbon and mint into an old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice and muddle the fruit. Garnish with berries and mint.
Recipe Source: Jim Hewes, bartender at Round Robin Bar, Willard InterContinental in Washington, DC
In closing, join me and other chardonnay-swigging liberals in toasting: