As Ms. S&C mentioned in her recent Rehoboth Beach update, the “crush” may be the perfect beach cocktail, which means it may be the perfect summer cocktail. It is certainly a damn refreshing cocktail. And, it is a cocktail that is very easy to make. Did you hear that? It is a cocktail that is super easy to make. Make one. This weekend.
There’s one month before Labor Day, so Ms. S&C begs you — pleads with you — to make a “crush” before summer is over. Did I mention how it is so easy? And, how it tastes like a summer drink is supposed to? If there is one thing Ms. S&C can give you this summer, it is the Grapefruit Crush.
Ms. S&C’s favorite cocktail of this hot, hot summer?
The grapefruit crush.
(recipe adapted from Going Out Gurus, and what they claim to be a proper and traditional recipe)
- 2 oz. Grapefruit Juice — preferably ruby red, and the fresher, the better
- 1 oz. Vodka — the original recipe calls for grapefruit-infused vodka (i.e. Absolut Ruby Red)
- Lemon Lime Soda — Ms. S&C also plans to try it with Fresca
- Lime wedges — for garnish
Fill a collins-style glass with ice. Combine one part vodka, two parts juice, and top with soda. Stir. Garnish with lime wedge.
When you’re beachside or poolside or lakeside — or, wishing you were beachside, poolside, lakeside — here’s a playlist that can help set the mood.
Some of the songs are on the playlist because of name alone. Beach House is one example (I’m glad the band name works because I’m totally digging their Teen Dream album right now). The Velvet Underground’s “Ocean” is another (I think the song is about heroin?). Some of the songs are, naturally, from surfer bands: The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. And bands who are inspired by surfer bands: The Morning Benders, Caribou, and Surfer Blood. (And, good god, it was hard not to pick most of the songs from The Beach Boys’ Surfer Hits album, or from Pet Sounds, which is actually my fave.)
Perhaps Ms. S&C was destined to surf because all these songs come directly from the S&C music library. They’ve just been waiting to be compiled on a playlist, and to be heard with a grapefruit crush in hand.
- Swim – Surfer Blood
- The Tide is High – Blondie
- Surfer Girl – The Beach Boys
- Charlie Don’t Surf – The Clash (this may be my favorite on the playlist)
- Ripple – Janes Addiction (yes, the Grateful Dead cover)
- Surf City – Jan & Dean
- Ocean Breathes Salty – Modest Mouse
- Ocean – The Velvet Underground
- Redondo Beach – Patti Smith
- Wipe Out – The Beach Boys
- Inaudible Melodies – Jack Johnson (or any Jack Johnson for that matter — he’s a Hawaiian surfer for crying out loud)
- All Day Day Light – The Morning Benders
- Melody Day – Caribou
- Zebra – Beach House
- Tides of Time – The Soft Pack
- Surfin’ Safari – The Beach Boys
- Sea of Love – Cat Power
- Wouldn’t It Be Nice – The Beach Boys
Ms. S&C would like to know: Do you have favorite songs that remind you of the beach? What songs should be added to the surfing playlist? Please share!
posted by Ms. S&C