It’s that time of year again. It’s that time when Ms. S&C and her splendid group of girlfriends compile ten of their favorite things, meet for dinner, draw names, and exchange baskets of goodies.
At this year’s basket exchange party, Ms. S&C scored a jar of pickled asparagus (perfect garnish for bloody mary’s), delicious wasabi-flavored almonds, and a slew of beauty-related items: night cream, Olivella soap, and hair removing cream (bathing suit season is right around the corner, you know).
Here’s what Ms. S&C put in her (mostly) health-and-wellness themed basket:
- GT’s Organic Raw Kombucha — Yes, the documented health benefits are a bit conflicting, but Ms. S&C is convinced that this fermented tea beverage — which she drinks three times a week — is great for her digestive health and her skin. (And now she wants to make her own.)
- Incense — Until about six months ago, Ms. S&C probably hadn’t purchased incense since college. But — as part of a new age-y streak — she is at yoga four times a week, at the acupuncturist once a month, taking daily Chinese herbs, drinking crazy fermented beverages, and lighting Champaka.
- Dried apricots — A perfect snack, with a handful of cashews or a spoonful of almond butter. This treat is also great when served with pork or duck (try cooking with carmelized onions). Salty+Sweet=Yummy.
- Cloth napkins — Ms. S&C likes to use cloth napkins for everyday use (and bright colors means that stains don’t show as much).
- Nude-colored lip gloss — Ms. S&C loves the dark-smokey-eyes and nude-colored nail polish and shiny nude lips look. She also likes the “Perfectly Nude” brand from Sephora.
- Yoga — It is hard to put yoga in a basket. So, Ms. S&C’s love of yoga came in the form of a strap this year.
- Dark chocolate — This is Ms. S&C’s indulgence item. She has a fondness for fancy dark chocolate, and Mast Brother’s has a special place in her heart. (So does Vosges for that matter.)
- Misha’s coffee — Hooray for local artisanal coffee! (And kudos to Whole Foods for carrying it.)
- Running/workout playlist — Ms. S&C loves making playlists (it’s a recurring item in her basket), and this year she adapted a running mix she shared awhile back.
- Recipes — Thomas Keller’s roast chicken and crispy kale and are (excuse my language) fucking phenomenal.
And while there wasn’t anything cocktail or shoe-related in her basket, Ms S&C’s friends definitely came through, as gin, vodka, and sparkling rose all made an appearance.
Now, of course, Ms. S&C wants to know: What favorite things would you put in your basket? Share in the comments below!
PS) You can check out Ms. S&C’s favorite things from 2009 and 2010.
posted by Ms. S&C
I’m going to start my Monday off with commenting on this because I think it’s so much fun and love that you guys do this! In no random order:
1. Hot tea, cream and splenda please
2. rainbow flip flops – I like to dress up M – F but my summer weekends I live in them!
3. Candles – fresh cut grass!
4. comfy pants – sweats, exercise pants, you name it, I own a million
5. outdoor patios at DC restaurants, or anywhere I imagine – two words, people watching!
6. my boyfriend – he’s a big time fave, the perfect addition to anything in this world
8. smutty celebrity magazines (and websites and blogs and tv shows…you get the gist!)
9. pizza, this easily could have been #1
10. dresses – I can’t get enough…casual, dressy, love em
thanks for the opportunity Ms S&C!