As we get ready for a new year, reflection is inevitable. Of course every year brings some ups and downs, but those of us over here at S&C are an optimistic bunch. We don’t have too many regrets. After all, we’ve got a lot to be happy about — great family, good friends, our health, not too much economic misfortune. Not to mention, this blog. As we say goodbye to 2008, we leave you with a list of our favorites.
S&C 2008 Favorites
- Favorite shoes: Riding boots – so many colors, so many styles. You can wear them with skinny jeans and tights. Ms. S&C picked up a pair of really great patent leather ones and a pair of really, really cheap ones. And, there are at least two more she’d like to have.
- Favorite cocktail: Black pepper gin rickey – gin has become Ms. S&C’s spirit of choice, and she can’t get over the combo of gin, lime and black pepper in this drink. Message to Central: please put it back on the menu sometime in the new year.
- Favorite S&C-made cocktail: Punches – Ms. S&C likes fixing cocktails for her friends, but a crowd of peeps can be intimidating and a ton of work. Her sangrias and punches have been a life-saver. And, she loves that they are so seasonal.
- Favorite cocktail blog: Since starting this whole blogging thing, the guys over at Scofflaws Den have been an inspiration. They are always up the latest cocktail trends, and they definitely know their way around the best bars in DC.
- Favorite fashion blog: another DC local, fashion is spinach is vintage-y, yet modern. We adore her personal style, and are super happy that she’s joined Fashion Washington.
- Favorite cocktail trend: speakeasy-style cocktail bars – Hummingbird to Mars came and went during 2008, but fortunately, The Gibson has popped up as the new primo spot for innovative drinks and atmosphere. Another trend that was a close second: election-themed cocktails, and we expect those to be revived, oh, sometime around Jan. 20.
- Favorite fashion trend: recession chic – while we do not dig the recession, we love the it-is-cool-to-be-cheap revolution, and we love bargains.
S&C wants to know: What are your 2008 favorites? Shoes, cocktails, or other — share a comment below!